What I'm Doing Right Now
I am headed back to Austin after attending the Restaurant Leadership Conference in Phoenix. The innovation forums were outstanding and I enjoyed the content that was presented. It was also great to connect with some great folks I had previously not met in person before. I sat in on a great Gallup Called To Coach webcast around Builder Profile 10 this week and I am excited to continue working on our Emergent Leader Initiative in Austin where we’ll be using the Born To Build book and Builder Profile content as the cornerstone of our curriculum.
Reading, Writing & Podcasts I’m Listening To
What I’m currently reading…
I’ve always believed that Leaders are Readers so I like to keep my Tribe updated on the different books I am reading. Sometimes they are new books and sometimes they are classics that I am revisiting. I am linking the book titles back to the author’s website.
- Anything You Want – 40 Lessons for a New Kind of Entrepreneur by Derek Sivers
- Great at Work: How Top Performers Do Less, Work Better, and Achieve More by Morten Hansen
- Grit: The Power and Passion and Perseverance by Angela Duckworth
- Your Restaurant Sucks! by Donald Burns
- Setting The Table by Danny Meyer
- The E-Myth Revisited by Michael Gerber
Recently published words…
For the last 6 years I have been blogging about People Development, Culture, and Authentic Leadership. Here are three recent blog posts that you may find helpful on your leadership journey. From time to time I write for industry trade magazines and I will post links to those articles as well.
- Beware the Unenlightened Leader
- Why The Restaurant Industry Matters More Than Ever
- What Are You Building?
Podcasts I’m currently listening to…
Technology as a learning accelerator is an awesome thing. With podcasts you can have your favorite thought leaders in your ear every day, and who wouldn’t want that? Here are a few podcasts that I’m really enjoying, and that you may also enjoy on your leadership journey.
Projects in the Works
New stuff on the way…
- I recently started a book project titled “Cutting Onions: Leadership Lessons Learned From a 3 Decade Career in the Restaurant Industry”. I’m working with Morgan James Publishing and the book is due out in 9-12 months.
- I am in the process of developing a new leadership podcast where I’ll be diving into various leadership principles and interviewing special guests.
- I am creating a Mastermind Group for executives where we’ll meet virtually weekly to discuss the challenges we all face in operating great businesses through building strong people cultures. We’ll discuss how to make sure the effort we are putting in achieves the business goals and objectives set forth. In addition to meeting weekly via a Zoom call, we’ll also meet up twice a year in Austin for face-to-face meetings and dig deep.
Other Big Things
I am a Gallup Certified Strengths Coach and help individuals and teams learn about their talents and how to turn those into strengths to improve their results, both personally and professionally. I am also helping a local non-profit in Austin develop an Emergent Leader Initiative which launches in August 2018.
This page last updated on April 18, 2018